Tuesday, September 23, 2014

all business













A few years ago I started my own business, paperwhites+whimsy creative events and florals,with the goal of  specializing in weddings and other major events. My business grew primarily through word of mouth and I was proud of what I was doing. I wasn't making much money but I felt like I was growing at a manageable pace. I was also making a concentrated effort to learn more about the business side of running a creative enterprise and broadening the scope of what I was capable of doing creatively.

The plan had always been for me to work up until the month before my due date, take another month off and then dive right back into the game. A difficult pregnancy made this impossible. I had to stop working after my last at the end of October. I didn't even have the energy to do consults to set up my schedule for the summer/fall 2014 wedding season.  

It was discouraging to see the business that I was working so hard to build get pushed to the very bottom of my list of priorities.  But, at the time I didn't have the energy to dedicate to it. I wasn't even sure if it was something I wanted to continue doing. I had also fallen victim to the social media comparison syndrome. I love that my instagram feed is full of beautiful things-florals, events, tablescapes,stationery-but it's so hard not to compare myself to all of those talented creatives doing amazing things(the same things I want to do), booking dream jobs and working with the coolest clients. Most of the time I feel inspired by them but it was hard to keep the self doubt at bay. Am I as good as they are? Do I have any talent? 

Six weeks after Rowan was born I hosted a pop up shop for Mother's Day. It went better than I anticipated and it felt so good to get my hands in buckets of flowers again! The pop up confirmed two things for me- I love, love, love what I do and I hate spending that much time away from my baby.

I began to rethink what I wanted my business to be and seriously consider some of the ideas that had been floating around in my head during my pregnancy. So, I'm shifting the focus of my business from weddings and large events to more intimate celebrations and corporate events. I'll also focus more holding workshops, classes, styling, and pop up events. This shift plays to my strengths and what I love about this business the most. The changes are also making me feel better about balancing work with my desire to spend as much time with Rowan as possible.

I'm working on a couple of styling projects, collaborating on an exciting projects (which I can't wait to share) and planning some fall workshops.  With that being said, I'm in the process of rebranding and a relaunch is coming soon! 

all florals designed by paperwhites+whismy||baby shower invitations designed by addie ink and styled by paperwhites+whimsy||wedding invitations designed by addie ink and styled by paperwhites+whimsy
             
Interested in hiring me for your event or styling work? email paperwhitesandwhimsy@gmail.com 
Be sure to follow the paperwhites+whimsy instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment